North Royalton is a city in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, United States. It is a suburb of Cleveland. The population was 31,322 as of the 2020 Census. Originally incorporated as a village in 1927, it achieved the status of city in 1961.
North Royalton was founded in 1818. Knight Sprague, an early settler, had the township named after his native town in Vermont, Royalton. Sometime between 1880 and 1890, the name of Royalton was changed to North Royalton because of another town in Ohio bearing the same name. On April 4, 1927, the township officially became the Village of North Royalton, and the first mayor, E. C. McCombs, was elected.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 21.32 square miles (55.22km2), of which 21.31 square miles (55.19km2) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.03km2) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 28,647 people, 11,250 households, and 7,695 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,345.9 people per square mile (519.5/km2). There were 11,754 housing units at an average density of 552.2 per square mile (213.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 96.18% White, 0.71% African American, 0.12% Native American, 1.99% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.16% from other races, and 0.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.95% of the population.
Learn more about North Royalton, OH